Welcome to another episode of Ascension Run, my podcast about roguelike games and strategy!
Please leave any feedback in the comments below or via my contact page. If you like the show, and think that others would too, please share it! Rating and reviews through iTunes or other podcast players are also very helpful – thanks!
The show should be searchable on most podcast players, if you can’t find it then please let me know and I’ll see if I can get it added.
Here is a direct RSS Feed for the show, which can be entered directly into your podcast player:
Click here for a direct download of the episode.
Tone is joined by roguelikes discord admin mtf as they use their recent experiences playing Cogmind and Jupiter Hell as a lens to inspect and discuss a number of roguelike- and gaming-related topics! Topics include difficulty options in games, popular meta strategies, using consumables and resources, playing to win vs. for fun, crafting mechanics, multiplayer roguelikes, transferrable roguelike skills, and preventing repetitive strain injuries while gaming. They also cover recent events in the community and answer some listener questions!
- 0h 08m 10s – Roguelike News
- Rift Wizard Full Release announced for September 1st: https://steamcommunity.com/games/1271280/announcements/detail/2967295219264933180
- NetHack Learning Environment Reddit AMA: https://www.reddit.com/r/MachineLearning/comments/p70v34/d_facebook_ai_researchs_nethack_learning/
- NetHackathon NetHack Marathon: https://nethackathon.org/
- 0h 21m 04s – Cogmind Cooperative Stream w/ mtf
- 1h 08m 36s – A close look at player progress made in Jupiter Hell
- 2h 27m 45s – Mail Daemon (Listener Mail)
- Dominion-like Game Recommendation
- Our Favorite Roguelikes
- Preventing Repetitive Strain Issues (RSI)
Tyriq Plummer speaking at Roguelike Celebration 2020: YASDery Loves Company: Multiplayer in Traditional Roguelikes
A Table-Top Feel: Designing Unexplored 2’s Fortune System To Replace Virtual Dice Rolling
Roguelikes Discord: https://discord.gg/t9cVHhj
mtf’s Twitch channel:
2 thoughts on “Ascension Run 002: Tactics for Days feat. mtf | Cogmind, Jupiter Hell, and more!”
Hate Crafting too and was always a fan when developers minimizes or make the crafting optional for their game. Will note that Wayward also has a good tutorial system for its crafting which helps you get into its systems.
I actually got into Wayward myself earlier this year and really enjoy that game! I didn’t run into the same sort of frictions that I do in a lot of crafting/survival games; the UI for crafting items really helps make the whole process quick and painless.